AGE-WELL Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Awards in Technology and Aging
This competition is now closed.
AGE-WELL Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Awards in Technology and Aging provide partial funding to highly qualified master’s, doctoral and postdoctoral candidates and provide them with access to training and mentorship opportunities through the AGE-WELL Network of Centres of Excellence. AGE-WELL aims to provide a unique training environment that exposes trainees to multi-disciplinary research environments and to its industry and community partners. AGE-WELL is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining outstanding Highly Qualified Personnel (HQP) in Canada.
Please consult the Information Package and Application Instructions (PDF) for detailed information and instructions.
Applicants should also refer to the AGE-WELL NCE Network Goals (PDF) for additional information about Network priorities.
Application Process and Deadlines
The application is comprised of an online application form and supporting documents. The process is as follows:
- Submit the online application by July 10, 2015 through the AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal (instructions below).
- Results of the competition will be announced at the end of August (revised).
- Funding commences September 2015. Trainees from programs with January start dates may defer the award until January 2016.
An overview of the AGE-WELL Graduate Student and Postdoctoral Awards in Technology and Aging is provided below.
Awards are intended to enhance existing funding support awarded to promising new scholars. Matching funds will be considered as part of the review of each applicant. Awards are awarded in amounts up to the following maximums per academic year:
- $14,000 for Masters students (1 year award)
- $18,000 for PhD students (2 year award)
- $40,000 for Postdoctoral fellows (1 year award)
In order to be considered for AGE-WELL Awards, funding applicants must:
- Receive financial support from additional sources: home department, supervisor research grants, and/or through government and agency scholarships or awards.
- Participate full‐time in their respective program at a Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Be engaged in academic study/research aligned with the mission and vision of AGE-WELL.
Funded doctoral and postdoctoral applicants may submit one-year renewal applications for a third year of doctoral funding and a second year of postdoctoral funding. Ongoing funding is dependent on performance and achieving milestones outlined in the original application. Funded trainees are expected to submit an annual report through the AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal reporting system each year. This report is required whether or not the trainee is applying for renewal of funding.
If successful, trainee funding will be held by the trainee’s supervisor in an account that must be established at the supervisor’s home institution.
- Scholarly Merit & Quality of Proposed Research (40%)
- Fit with AGE-WELL Goals and Priorities (40%)
- Quality of training environment (20%)
Award applicants must submit the following:
- Online Application Form via the AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal;
- Two Confidential Letters of Support (one must be from your proposed supervisor) submitted via email or by mail to the AGE-WELL Network Management Office.
- Formal evidence of enrolment in a Master’s or Doctoral program or Post‐Doctoral position;
- Formal evidence of awarded funding for 2015-16;
- Curriculum Vitae.
How to apply online
Once you are ready to submit an application online:
- You must register with the AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal at https://forum.agewell-nce.ca/index.php/Special:HQPRegister (the form will ask for your name and email).
- After you submit the registration form, the system will create an account and send your credentials to the email address you provided.
- Once you login, you will have to rest your temporary password.
- Finally, you can proceed to fill out the application form; the HQP application link is in the top right of the page you will reach after resetting your password. Make sure to read the instructions on the first page of the application process carefully.
If you encounter any difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.