SMRTS Seminars Program
The SMRTS (Sharing Multi-network Resources for Trainee Success) Seminars Program is a professional development initiative between 9 national and provincial networks aimed at providing the best possible programming to our respective trainees.
Each month, we will offer our trainees access to a wide range of soft skills programming through a live-streamed webinar or event. For further information about specific webinars, please contact the host network as listed below.
Thursday 30 May, 2019, 2:00-3:00pm ET
“IP 101,” Isi Caulder (Bereskin & Parr LLP)
Speaker: Isi Caulder is a partner, patent and trademark agent with Bereskin & Parr LLP and co-leader of the Artificial Intelligence (AI) practice group. She helps high technology clients secure and license patent rights for a wide variety of electrical, computer and mechanical related inventions. She is a frequent speaker and supporter of the Toronto technology community, mentoring student start up teams at The Entrepreneurship Hatchery and at the IMPACT Centre at the University of Toronto.
Hosted by AGE-WELL NCE. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
- “Infographic Toolkit for Researchers”, Julia Krolik, Art the Science (AllerGen NCE)
- “Building a Culture of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Science: Tips, Tools and Strategies,” Imogen Coe, Ryerson University (GlycoNet NCE)
- “Practical Project Management“, Samantha Sandassie, AGE-WELL NCE, (BioCanRx NCE)
- “LinkedIn for Scientists”, Krista Lamb (OIRM)
- “Spreading Your Ideas – How and Why Researchers Are Talking Like TED”, Sabrina Sassi and Sheryl Guloy (CSCN)
- “Pitching and Presenting with Style,” Sylviane Duval, OpenTheBox, (MEOPAR NCE)
- “Choices and Opportunities for Academic & ‘Academia Adjacent’ Careers,” Allison Brennan & Leslie Grad (KBHN)
- “Social Media: Building Your Personal Brand,” Kate Headley, MsCommuniKate Public Relations (MEOPAR NCE)
- “Taking Good Business Ideas out of the Lab: Commercializing Your Research” (GlycoNet)
- “Navigating Academic Scholarship,” Amber Hastings-Truelove (CFN NCE)
- “The ABCs of Media Interviews,” Margaret Polanyi (Senior Communications Manager, AGE-WELL NCE)
- “Experimental Design and Reporting” (BioCanRx)
- “Write the Right Grant” Dr. Parminder Raina, (McMaster University)
- “Moving Research to Policy: Practical Approaches for Researchers to Inform Policy Development,” Dr. Jennifer Zwicker (University of Calgary) & Dr. Keiko Shikako-Thomas (McGill University)
- “Media Relations- How to Get Your Story Into the Press,” Lisa Willemse (Senior Communications Advisor, OIRM)
- “Understanding Patents in the Academic Environment,” Lisa Sim (Miller Thomson LLP)
- “Grantsmanship: An Exercise in Strategy,” Dr. Jennifer Quizi (Ottawa Hospital Research Institute)
- “Building Success Through Networking and Interview Skills,” Guang Ying Mo, PhD.
- “Reverse Innovation: A Case Study,” Dr. Matt Ratto (University of Toronto)
- “Communicating in Plain Language,” Sylviane Duval (Independent Consultant)
The SMRTS Program is a collaborative effort between the following networks: