Karen Kobayashi Memorial Award in Technology and Aging
Dr. Karen Kobayashi (1967-2022) was a professor in the University of Victoria’s Department of Sociology and Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences). A long-time leader and investigator in AGE-WELL, Dr. Kobayashi served on our Research Management Committee, co-lead the knowledge mobilization crosscutting activity, and was a network and training advisor in implementation. An eminent social gerontologist, Dr. Kobayashi used a life course perspective to explore the intersections of structural, cultural and individual factors and experiences affecting health and aging in the Canadian population.
Dr. Kobayashi’s dedication to, and enthusiasm for, supporting trainees – the next generation of researchers, government and industry professionals – was unmatched. She was a fierce advocate for all of her trainees, an insightful mentor who sought to build strengths and capacity. She made her students and colleagues feel safe and supported and encouraged them to always strive to make a positive and meaningful difference in the lives of stakeholders.
The Karen Kobayashi Memorial Award in Technology and Aging is intended to pay tribute to Dr. Kobayashi’s belief that our research should make positive, real-world impact.
Eligible applicants to this $20,000 award are full-time graduate students and postdoctoral fellows enrolled at Canadian institutions.
Applications must have a knowledge mobilization or implementation focus and applicants will be asked to submit a 1 page, free-form knowledge mobilization or implementation plan.
Awards are intended to enhance existing funding support awarded to promising new scholars. Trainees must demonstrate that they receive funding from a source other than AGE-WELL.
If successful, trainee funding will be held and disbursed by the trainee’s supervisor in a new account that must be established at the supervisor’s home institution. Awards are not renewable. This award is subject to the training and reporting requirements of the AGE-WELL Awards.
The recipient may be profiled at AGE-WELL’s Annual Conference and/or in the network’s Annual Report. Award term: 1 September 2023-31 March 2024.
In order to be considered for AGE-WELL Awards, funding applicants must:
- Receive at least some financial support from additional sources: home department, supervisor research grants, and/or through government and agency scholarships or awards.
- Participate full‐time in their respective program at a Canadian post-secondary institution.
- Be engaged in academic study/research aligned with the mission and vision of AGE-WELL.
- Applicants for doctoral awards are restricted to those entering the first, second, or third year of their program.
Applicants who will receive AGE-WELL project funds concurrently with this award period are ineligible to apply to this competition. For example, a trainee who will be funded through AGE-WELL Core Research Projects, Platform Projects, Cross-Cutting themes, or the Strategic Investment, Collaborative Impact, Catalyst or AIR programs would be ineligible.
Funded trainees will be automatically enrolled in our EPIC training program (Early Professionals, Inspired Careers) and are expected to participate actively in AGE-WELL seminar series and professional development activities (e.g. workshops in commercialization or entrepreneurship). Trainees will be required to earn the Innovators of Tomorrow certificate by completing 4 online courses (estimated 25-30 hours total) by 31 August 2024.
As per NCE rules, funds must flow from AGE-WELL to the trainee’s primary supervisor at their institution. Academic institutions receiving AGE-WELL funds in trust are expected to:
- Set up a new account for AGE-WELL funds disbursed during the current AGE-WELL funding cycle.
- Report on expenditures of AGE-WELL funds by submitting a Form 300 to the Network Management Office no later than April 30 of each year for the duration of this funding award.
AGE-WELL funded trainees will acknowledge the AGE-WELL Award program in their presentations, publications, and other knowledge translation activities related to research conducted during their funding period. Funded trainees are required to use the AGE-WELL logo on their posters and other materials related to research conducted during their funding period.
All applications will be reviewed by a team of field experts using the following criteria:
- Scholarly Merit & Quality of Proposed Research (40%)
- Fit with AGE-WELL Goals and Priorities (40%)
- Quality of training environment (20%)
Award applicants must submit the following:
- Online Application Form;
- Formal evidence of enrolment in a Master’s or Doctoral program or Post‐Doctoral position;
- Formal evidence of awarded funding for 2023-2024;
- Curriculum Vitae
- 1-page Knowledge Mobilization or Implementation Plan;
- Two Confidential Letters of Support (one must be from your proposed supervisor) must be uploaded by your referees into the Forum Research Portal.
How to apply online:
Once you are ready to submit an application online:
- If you have not already done so, you must register with the AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal at https://forum.agewell-nce.ca/index.php/Special:HQPRegister (the form will ask for your name and email).
- After you submit the registration form, the system will create an account and send your credentials to the email address you provided.
- Once you login, you will have to reset your temporary password.
- Finally, you can proceed to fill out the application form; the “My Applications” link is in the top right of the page you will reach after resetting your password. Please select “Award 2023”, navigate to the “Documents” tab, and enter your referee names and email addresses. Letters of support must be uploaded to the Forum Research Portal by your referees by 5pm ET May 12, 2023.
- Make sure to read the instructions on the first page of the application process carefully.
Applications Open: 3 April, 2023
Completed Applications Due: 12 May, 2023
Results Available: August, 2023
Funding Commences: 1 September 2023
Award Term: 1 September 2023-31 March 2024
If you encounter any technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the program, eligibility etc., please contact email@example.com.