AGE-WELL Edge Awards support full-time students at a Canadian college, polytechnic, or cégep embarking upon a “capstone” or final project in the field of technology and aging. AGE-WELL Edge is a $1000 award designed to support the creation of innovative products that have the potential to improve the lives of older adults and caregivers in Canada.
The innovation must address one of AGE-WELL’s 8 Challenge Areas to shape the future of technology and aging research in Canada.
AGE-WELL is a pan-Canadian network of industry, non-profit organizations, government, care providers, caregivers, end-users, and academic partners working together to drive innovation and create technologies and services that benefit older adults and caregivers. Our vision is to harness and build upon the potential of emerging and advanced technologies in areas such as artificial intelligence (AI), e-health, information communication technologies (ICTs), and mobile technologies to stimulate technological, social, and policy innovation.
Please consult the AGE-WELL Edge Award Information Package for detailed information and instructions.
Award Value and Term
- We will offer a total of ten (10) $1,000 awards with a grant term of 1 January 2020-31 March 2020
- Award funds will flow as salary support in compliance with AGE-WELL grant administration guidelines and practices. As per NCE rules, Tri-Council funds must flow from AGE-WELL to the trainee’s primary supervisor at their institution.
- Applicants are asked to confirm that their institution and supervisor are able to hold Tri-Council funds. All supervisor reference letters must confirm that the institution and supervisor are eligible to hold and disburse Tri-Council funds.
Recipients will have access to AGE-WELL member benefits and specialized services such as commercialization and knowledge mobilization support and entrepreneurship training via the EPIC program.
In order to be considered for the AGE-WELL Edge Award funding applicants must:
- Be full-time students at a Canadian college, polytechnic, or cégep
- Be completing a capstone or final project in the field of technology and aging
- Award recipients are expected to participate actively in the network, including cooperation in the publicizing of any success stories arising from this award.
- Recipients are required to complete a final report on outcomes and impact in April 2020.
- Funds must be spent by 31 March 2020
Application and Review Process
All applications will be reviewed by a team of field experts using the following criteria:
- rationale and approach
- fit with AGE-WELL vision and mission
Applications Open: 15 September, 2019
Completed Applications Due: 15 October, 2019
Results Available: 1 November, 2019
Funding Commences: January 2020
How to Apply
AGE-WELL Edge applications will be accepted through AGE-WELL’s Forum Research Portal
Once you are ready to submit an application online:
- If you have not already done so, you must register with the AGE-WELL Forum Research Portal at https://forum.agewell-nce.ca/index.php/Special:HQPRegister(the form will ask for your name and email).
- After you submit the registration form, the system will create an account and send your credentials to the email address you provided.
- Once you login, you will have to reset your temporary password.
- Finally, you can proceed to fill out the application form; the “My Applications” link is in the top right of the page you will reach after resetting your password. Please select “Edge.” Make sure to read the instructions on the first page of the application process carefully.
If you encounter any technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For application questions, please contact email@example.com